Visit our WEBSITE at www.HipBargainChick.com!!!!!!!!!

Follow HipBargainChick on Twitter!!!!

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Tip #36: How to Shop Clearance (Repost)

I have had so many people tell me they don't shop clearance because they don't want to spend the time digging through everything.  Clearance racks can be overwhelming, but I have a system that makes clearance rack shopping not intimidating.

Step 1:  Know your SIZE and look only at those clothes.

Step 2:  Know what COLORS look good on you (for those of you living in Northern VA - I offer a Color Analysis service).  For example, I look for warm colors... I will pass right by a bright yellow garment  no matter how cute it may be.

Step 3:  Know what STYLES/SHAPES look good on you.  This is the hardest to figure out about ourselves.  It is not so cut and dry as size/color.  For me, I look at the neckline first.  If it is round or boat-neck, I move on instantly.  I have a long neck with short hair, so I go for collars, v-necks and turtlenecks.  For pants, I personally don't look at pleated fronts, embellishment or straight legs.

Step 4:  Consider the VERSATILITY of the garment.  Layering is in style this year.... can the item go under a sweater?  How will it look with different pieces of jewelry?  Can I wear difference color/style pants/jeans with the shirt?  If it is NOT versatile, how much will I wear it standalone?  How long will it be in style?

I have price points for different items (price points will be different for everyone).  For example, I don't mind spending up to $20 on a sweater based on how often I will wear it, how long it will be in style, how versatile it is, and how well it is made.

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:  Clearance racks are most likely stocked with items from the previous season.  I buy most of my Summer clothes in the Fall, my Winter clothes in late winter/early spring, my Fall clothes in the winter.

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments, please let me know!  If you need help with your closet, let me know!  If you want me to go shopping with you, let me know!

Happy Clearance Shopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment